TT97

Well Known
ELITE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2021
Los Angeles
'18 Model 3 LR
'21 VW ID.4 AWD

$500 reservation fee; available "Fall 2022"

I originally was cross-shopping this to the ID.4 as they were both expected to be available at the same time, don't know how they ended up releasing 18 months later. (For those that want to know, I will not be putting down a deposit for this :))

talkingevs

Administrator
STAFF MEMBER
ELITE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2021
Las Vegas
18' Model 3 LR
21' Model 3 SR+

$500 reservation fee; available "Fall 2022"

I originally was cross-shopping this to the ID.4 as they were both expected to be available at the same time, don't know how they ended up releasing 18 months later. (For those that want to know, I will not be putting down a deposit for this :))
If there was no reservation fee, guaranteed you'd have an order in. :cool:

TT97

Well Known
ELITE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2021
Los Angeles
'18 Model 3 LR
'21 VW ID.4 AWD
$500 seems high when most are requesting $100

It's higher but not terrible. The ID.4 was $100 upfront but then they asked for another $400 to lock in the order. The key is what a "reservation" actually accomplishes.

For the ID.4, the reservation got you the car as you configured but still had to deal with the dealer (unfortunately, that will be the issue with every legacy manufacturer). Reservation for the Ioniq seemed to have just put me on their mailing list and first contact for a car but still buying off of whatever the dealer received so not guaranteed a car. Tesla got you a spot in line and then can purchase the car (with upfront parking).

I am hoping that my Rivian reservation guarantees the truck I configured at the price I configured (although would understand a slight bump in price as by the time I get the R1S it will be a '23 or '24 model year) - but that is the difference between paying $100 & $1000.

Nissan seems to be pushing their Nissan@Home program for the ARIYA so you can finalize the entire transaction and financing without ever going to the dealer but the transaction will still be through the dealer and not Nissan USA. It will be interesting to see how that goes. We got the ID.4 through a dealer, however, we did the entire lease by phone/text/email and they drove the car to our house (we never set foot in the dealership) - much better than spending hours at the dealership but doesn't stop the dealer from trying their typical up-sell tactics and over-inflated MF rates.

talkingevs

Administrator
STAFF MEMBER
ELITE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2021
Las Vegas
18' Model 3 LR
21' Model 3 SR+
I wonder if any company has thought of creating a one stop shop for all EV reservations for these manufacturers where it's handled the same for all of them? Would level the playing field

TalkingEVs - Electric Vehicle Community

We are an independent electric vehicle enthusiast community for all brands and models. Join the discussion today for FREE!

JOIN COMMUNITY

ADD SITE/CLUB

ADD BUSINESS

ADVERTISE

Latest posts

Gooda Blogs Website Family

ADVERTISEMENT