Kicking the Tires Here

MikeQBF

Getting Started
Jan 11, 2022
Downtown Flyover
Ford Th!nk
@TT97 (Hi!) recruited me here after I asked about general EV forums on the VW ID forum. Yeah, this forum is nascent, but I've been on the ground floor of forums before. Was a moderator on a vehicle forum for 12 years, so I know the drill.

Retired early. Background is computer engineering and general engineering; schooling was in civil. Last job was in "intelligent transportation systems", most visible to the public as electronic road signs and traffic cameras. Not visible was work done in very early infrastructure design precursors supporting self-driving vehicles.

Dabbling in EVs since 2004. Have a Ford Th!nk Neighbor Wagon, a rare remnant of the ill-conceived Neighborhood Electric Vehicle program of the early 2000s. It's on its fifth set of batteries.

talkingevs

Administrator
STAFF MEMBER
ELITE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2021
Las Vegas
18' Model 3 LR
21' Model 3 SR+
Welcome and thanks for joining! What vehicle forum were you on as a moderator? I haven't heard of the Ford Think before. Do you have photos of it?

MikeQBF

Getting Started
Jan 11, 2022
Downtown Flyover
Ford Th!nk
http://www.elementownersclub.com . We have two, now with 200K on 'em.

Ford Th!nk was a development program in 2000-2002. They had the City, a plastic-bodied import from Denmark IIRC. Those were leased, and like the Chevy EV1, they were recalled and destroyed when the leases were up.

The Neighbor was sold for entirely too much money. Sticker on ours was $8000 when you could buy a Hyundai sedan for less, tho' I paid less than half of that. It looks like a glorified golf cart, but it's real car with a real suspension and a real roll cage, just open with no doors. It is the only example I know of, of a NEV built specifically to address the USDOT Low Speed Vehicle program. Chrysler bought GEM, and GM modified a golf cart. Bombardier had something like it, but they weren't a factor in the NEV marketplace. The NEV program was cancelled in 2003 after California relented on their 5% zero-emissions program of the time.

think1.jpg

I have road tires on it now, and the governor setting in the controller has been nulled; it's good for 35mph, 40 on a good day. Obviously it's a fair-weather vehicle. The pickup truck ("Wagon") configuration is rare, only 400 built. Normally they have two or four seats. Range with the mod'ed controller is 10-12 miles if I keep my foot out of it, which is hard to do. Despite appearances it definitely has that EV "kick" off the line; I've surprised a few drivers in the area.

talkingevs

Administrator
STAFF MEMBER
ELITE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2021
Las Vegas
18' Model 3 LR
21' Model 3 SR+
That forum is part of a huge network of forums. They have one for Rivian and VW as well I've noticed.

I have to be honest, if I saw that thing driving in front of me, I would think what is it doing on the road. It looks exactly like a golf cart.

MikeQBF

Getting Started
Jan 11, 2022
Downtown Flyover
Ford Th!nk
I'm a member of the VW forum, as well, which is what brought me here.

Looks like a golf cart, but park it next to one and you'll see its 30-40% bigger. Most golf courses won't allow them because they're too wide for the paths, and too fast to be safe.

You need to think 25 years ago.There were a couple of formal studies promoting "half a car" for local errand running, and NHTSA made a bunch of rules allowing them on the streets. Deployment was a total failure. But what is old is new again, quad runners, side-by-sides and ATVs are now legal for the same thing, at least in rural areas. Like our small town.

TalkingEVs - Electric Vehicle Community

We are an independent electric vehicle enthusiast community for all brands and models. Join the discussion today for FREE!

JOIN COMMUNITY

ADD SITE/CLUB

ADD BUSINESS

ADVERTISE

Latest posts

Gooda Blogs Website Family

ADVERTISEMENT