Opinion Charging won't be as convenient as gas stations anytime soon?

SuperLucky88

Well Known
Oct 12, 2021
They definitely are far behind right now in terms of:
1) ability to pay cash, credit card, by phone, etc.
2) lack of other amenities offered such as drinks, snacks, bathrooms, etc.
3) not nearly as many
4) lack of road tools such as windshield washers, paper towels, etc.

talkingevs

Administrator
STAFF MEMBER
ELITE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2021
Las Vegas
18' Model 3 LR
21' Model 3 SR+
They definitely are far behind right now in terms of:
1) ability to pay cash, credit card, by phone, etc.
2) lack of other amenities offered such as drinks, snacks, bathrooms, etc.
3) not nearly as many
4) lack of road tools such as windshield washers, paper towels, etc.
I'd agree with that.

talkingevs

Administrator
STAFF MEMBER
ELITE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2021
Las Vegas
18' Model 3 LR
21' Model 3 SR+
Forgot to add in another:

- Ability to locate open chargers with no wait. One of the best thing about gas stations is just pulling in and filling up. Some EV charging stations have waits.

MikeQBF

Getting Started
Jan 11, 2022
Downtown Flyover
Ford Th!nk
"Open chargers" is my concern, coupled with charger reliability. Lots of reviews on plugshare.com about down chargers or high-capacity chargers limited to slow rates. That's a serious problem for where we plan to drive an EV given how sparse the charger network is here.

One review I read for a location we were familiar with said they were stranded because all the chargers were down, of four, and they had to spend the night at the hotel across the street plugged into their 110V to complete enough of their trip to get to the next charger.

Damage reports for unmonitored chargers are on the upswing, too. Even experienced EV drivers such as Tesla owners seem to be getting careless about potential damage. Just yesterday, out of the six chargers at a nearby hotel, two had the cords/connectors dropped on the ground and were either damaged in the drop or run over.

talkingevs

Administrator
STAFF MEMBER
ELITE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2021
Las Vegas
18' Model 3 LR
21' Model 3 SR+
"Open chargers" is my concern, coupled with charger reliability. Lots of reviews on plugshare.com about down chargers or high-capacity chargers limited to slow rates. That's a serious problem for where we plan to drive an EV given how sparse the charger network is here.

One review I read for a location we were familiar with said they were stranded because all the chargers were down, of four, and they had to spend the night at the hotel across the street plugged into their 110V to complete enough of their trip to get to the next charger.

Damage reports for unmonitored chargers are on the upswing, too. Even experienced EV drivers such as Tesla owners seem to be getting careless about potential damage. Just yesterday, out of the six chargers at a nearby hotel, two had the cords/connectors dropped on the ground and were either damaged in the drop or run over.
Thats a good one, hadn't thought about the chargers being down. Tesla somehow escapes this for the most part as I've only found a few Superchargers not functioning. But EVGo, Electrify America, etc. i find alot.

Part of the broken and run over chargers is because of the design Tesla chose. The clip to hold them is very small and sometimes is hard to get it to click onto. If someone is in a hurry, I could see them falling. They should design it a little differently with the plug going down into something.

TalkingEVs - Electric Vehicle Community

We are an independent electric vehicle enthusiast community for all brands and models. Join the discussion today for FREE!

JOIN COMMUNITY

ADD SITE/CLUB

ADD BUSINESS

ADVERTISE

Latest posts

Gooda Blogs Website Family

ADVERTISEMENT